This article was first published in Catholic Women Preach.
Catholic Women Preach is an innovative project designed to address some of the most pressing challenges facing the Church today by responding to Pope Francis’ call for broader and more active engagement of the baptized in the preaching mission of the Church. This project is a deeply faithful, hopeful and joyful initiative intended to build up the Church.
CWP offers the theologically informed perspectives of Catholic women:
- to serve as an inspirational, theologically based resource for ordained priests, deacons, catechists, and all involved in the ministry of the word in the Catholic Church
- to encourage Catholics, especially younger adult Catholics, with messages of hope that renew faith, strengthen us and encourage active engagement in the life of the Church for our work in the world
- to provide a global platform for women’s voices and faith reflections so that the fullness of our Catholics giftedness can be accessed by all Catholics.
A project of global reach, Catholic Women Preach uses modern technology to bring the voices of diverse Catholic women to the proclamation of the Gospel through web-based resources.
Following the liturgical year, Catholic women will reflect on how the texts relate to all Catholics today with a special emphasis on the lives of women, their apostolic call, and their roles in the Church and the world.
Their preaching will highlight women traditionally omitted or misrepresented in our lectionary and open the Scripture texts to deepen our understanding of God’s saving presence in the world. Those who view these preaching videos will have the opportunity to see the deep spirituality of Catholic women who preach.
Catholic Women Preach provides a well-designed, resource rich and easily accessible website -- CatholicWomenPreach.org. -- where all the faithful including clergy, catechists, RCIA, parish study groups, campus ministers, retreat leaders, and others in church ministry can:
- See and hear preaching by well qualified and diverse women reflecting on lectionary texts for Sunday and selected weekday masses and possibly other biblical readings.
- Inspire Catholics to appreciate the giftedness of Catholic women’s preaching.
- Attract young adult Catholics who use social media and modern applications to find a rich, deep spirituality in these resources and to be inspired to find their way back into the liturgical life of the Church